A newbie vegan/relatively newbie cook blog. I am dipping my toes into vegan cooking, and here I share recipes from vegan blogs and cookbooks which I love. I like satisfying food using basic ingredients and I try to make meals which my non-veggie husband will love as well!

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Simple Vegan Pizza from Minimalist Baker

I thought it would be fun to do a pizza and movie night last Sunday night and had been eyeing a vegan pizza (recipe here) by Minimalist Baker. Those sauteed veggies just looked irresistible and I was intrigued by the idea of homemade parmesan cheese. Turns out, the pizza was amazing and the parmesan added a really nice extra flavor and texture; we both loved it!

 And the parm is super easy: all you need to do is blend 3/4 cup raw cashews, 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. garlic powder in a food processor until it looks mealy (about the same texture as the little packets of parmesan you get with pizza). 

I like that the pizza calls for the refrigerated pizza dough from Trader Joe's so you don't need to make your own (we used whole wheat because our TJ's was out of the recommended garlic-herb, but definitely trying that next time!) I also used Trader Joe's pizza sauce. Luckily I have done a bit of pizza slinging in my day (I worked as a cook at a pizza place for about 5 years), so I can handle the stretching part ;) Oh, and since the recipe only calls for half of the pizza crust, I cut it in two, doubled the other ingredients, and made 2 pizzas so we could have leftovers.

Before going in the oven

Vegan parmesan

The recipe for vegan parmesan makes quite a bit, so I stored mine in a jar and we have been using it all week for pasta and such. She notes on the site that it will last for a month covered in the fridge; I will definitely be keeping a batch in there at all times!

No comments:

Post a Comment